Saturday, July 21, 2007

BETTER LUCK NEXT TIME

I pity Koko Pimentel.

His is a case of having the cotton candy snatched from his hands when he was about to bite into it.

What’s more saddening is that he actually lost to Miguel Zubiri in his own hometown of Cagayan de Oro. If this is true, then his political career is a goner.

The spectre of the same failure – he also lost in his mayoralty bid in CDO in 2001 – looms like the ghost of Christmas past or the ghost of Elections past, if I may say so. Koko has a lot to learn from his failures. He has to get out of his father’s shadow and make a name for himself. At the very least, he should try very hard to not inherit his father’s terrible eye bags. The poor Senator looks like he’s had enemas one too many. Don’t get me wrong. I respect him even if I have an axe to grind with him over the Local Government Code which he wrote. But “inherit” being the operating word here, Koko probably is not going to win the war on that one, too.

I’m being mean.

Anyway, what’s important now, really, is that no matter who gets proclaimed, Mindanao and its people wins as both gentlemen come from the resource-rich island.

No comments: