Friday, July 20, 2007

AW, SHUCKS!

I haven’t splurged on DVD for a long, long time now. Believe me.

I think my purchases are now, at the very least, 2 months apart.

The only time I bought some was when a friend from Cebu, S.A., went to the US for the usual familiarization tour (he owns a travel agency) and I had him find some titles for me. One of the gems he brought home was Finian’s Rainbow. It was released in 1968 and was Fred Astaire’s last major movie musical. It also stars Petula Clark (of “Downtown” fame; I love that song!). Need I mention that this was directed by Francis Ford Coppola?

Anyway, my interest in this film was not because of the above-mentioned information (which I found out only while writing this entry) but because this was the film my Mother would wanted to watch again before she died.

And the DVD copy came 4 months too late.

Wait… Hold on a sec.

(Pause)

Okay, I’m back.

A few weeks ago, while I was at the Farm, I noticed a VCD of this film lying around and it hit me, why didn’t I ask friends in Manila if they have a copy of it? I could have just borrowed it way, way back when Mom was still alive!

One lesson I learned is, sometimes all one needs to do is ask.

No comments: