Tuesday, August 01, 2006

IT'S ANOTHER DAY IN PARADISE



“But I, being poor, have only my dreams. I have spread my dreams under your feet; tread softly, because you tread on my dreams.” (William Butler Yeats, Irish poet, dramatist, Nobel laureate)

During the rare chances that I walk by the office of the Philippine Business for Social Progress (PBSP) in Intramuros, i always get jarred by the sight of so many kids in this part of the muralla (city walls). An entire community has been established here, with houses threatening to take over even the PBSP's parking lot if not only for its high walls (there are some houses on top of the walls, by the way). The kids playing (see below) are just outside the building, and the family asleep on the floor are, well, right on PBSP's doorway. Also, a few meters from here is the headquarters of the Catholic Bishops Conference of the Philippines (CBCP). On any normal day, the front of the National Commission on Culture and the Arts (NCCA) is just as crowded.

I can't resist writing and posting photos, B and SB, but I feel I must. Pasensya na po. Sad lang kasi masyado. Come to think of it, Filipinos were not allowed to live in this exclusive enclave before. Hmmm...

I hope to see a better future for these children, and more funds for those who help them get a future.




No comments: