Sunday, October 15, 2006

STREET CAKES, JARO



I have no great fear of street food. I always take the chance of finding out how street food taste like. Wherever there is a queue or a crowd, I always try to find out what the commotion is all about. You can say that this is a quintessential Filipino trait - to be perpetually curious.

In Jaro, I chanced upon a row of shops on the street selling something in brown paper bags. We walked past them, but I just couldn't contain my curiousity and went back to one and asked what was inside. A-ha! Miniature rice cakes or bibingka! At Php 20 per bag with around 10 cakes, it was a steal. The cakes were tasty, redolent of coconut milk. It was worth the risk.


The cakes are cooked under a stack of burning wood and hot ash.

Miniature bibingka delights in a paper bag!

No comments: