Tuesday, December 07, 2004

MORE TRAGEDY

A dear friend from College and colleague in the medical profession was texting me this afternoon. Everything was doing okay until she sent me this message:

GP: "By the way, I think I might be suffering from breast CA. Remember I was operated on before for fibroadenoma? This time the mass is bigger and fixed. I could die young."

Me: "What?! But you are not sure yet! My Mom didn't have a familial history (Note: My Mom was diagnosed with CA in July) but how about you?"

GP: "Wala (None). Fibroadenoma lang sa Mom ko (My Mom only had fibroadenoma). Iba talaga consistency ngayon. (It has a different consistency now). I don't want to consult a surgeon because alam ko na gagawin sa akin (...I know what's going to be done to me)."

Me: "But GP, you still have to have it checked, you know. And please, please. Do not delay!"

Then later in the afternoon, a first cousin texted me from Dumaguete that his wife was recently diagnosed with Systemic Lupus Erythemasos (SLE) and that I must discuss the case with his Mom, to help them understand the process better and thus help them in their decisions.

Last week, dear friend J confided that his sister has Stage 4 Breast CA and is currently undergoing medication in Singapore.

I am so exhausted. I wish I could be there for everyone. I really want to but it is just not possible.

No comments: